Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Sketchbook / Writing

Kyoto Dai-Ichi Hotel

My video piece ‘Kyoto Dai-Ichi Hotel’ documents an erotic dance I performed in the window of my hotel room from across the street. The roughly three minute piece was filmed by Katie Raphael. This work stemmed from my research about the state of LGBTQ visibility in Japan. It is uncommon to be ‘out of the closet’ with family members or co-workers. This makes the LGBTQ community hardly a topic of discussion in mainstream Japanese culture. Overall though, Japanese culture places less emphasis on how one identifies themselves. So one’s identity as ‘gay’ for example carries less emphasis. Though one’s sexual preference may not be public knowledge, most Japanese simply share less personal information than Western people do. This got me thinking about ways a ‘closeted’ person may interact with their sexuality in an environment like Japan.
The erotic dance in front of a window is a way to perform ones sexuality and also maintain a certain level of privacy. My figure is lit from behind making me a silhouette. The anonymity of the figure in the work is key. It’s shadowy form shifts from feminine to masculine throughout the performance. It is also unclear who is watching from the street. Though the cameraperson is intently watching and recording the performance, cars and pedestrians are seen walking below the hotel windows. The dance is both for the public (who may or may not be receptive to it) and is intimately enjoyable for the performer. The sexual preference of the performer is not clear either. But their performance asserts a type of personal freedom and individuality.
Dance and performance are also a form of entertainment. In Japan, there are a large number of popular LGBTQ celebrities and entertainers (like Tanoshingo and Haruna Ai). The prevalence of trans celebrities is particularly remarkable. It seems that entertainment in Japan is a pace where otherwise abnormal desires and peoples are celebrated. To perform a dance refers back to this history. Though the performance may have only been seen by a few people, the dance provided a platform for the visibility of an alternative body. The performance draws from a type of dance circulated through mass media. Sensual dancing can been seen in a wide number of Japanese music videos and television shows.


Cigarette

My video piece ‘Cigarette’ is documentation of a performance by myself and Ke Wang. I made my body into a ball shape which Ke sat upon and smoked a cigarette in front of a rock garden. The video was filmed in Koya-san at the Rengejoin temple. My research of LGBTQ life initially inspired me to create rituals for LGBTQ people in a less accepting environment like Japan. However spending time in the Rengejoin temple (a place saturated with ritual and tradition of a totally different kind) shifted my focus. Instead of crafting rituals for LGBTQ people I decided to try and make the existing rituals of the individuals around me more accessible.
Observing the activities of my piers in contrast with the activities of the monks at the temple highlighted some interesting behaviors. Reflecting by the rock garden is a daily activity for the monks who live there but they did not seem to sit by it for long. Instead they would acknowledge it in passing. My SAIC piers however would often sit on the patio adjacent to the garden and spend 10-20 minutes by it. The people who spent the most time by the garden were the smokers in the group who would habitually enjoy a cigarette or two on the patio. The idea of needing a cigarette to spend time by the garden was fascinating to me.
I understand smoking alone as a contemplative activity (though I am not a smoker myself). I also understand the rock garden as a site for contemplation. Providing a seat for someone to comfortably smoke and enjoy the garden is an attempt to make a transition between these two forms of thinking. The rock garden is abstract in nature and its forms provide a number of evocative associations. It is nonetheless challenging to look at because of the ambiguity of its forms. The cigarette however is consumed. Though it is a ritual to be visited it is one that has limited time and material qualities.
In the video the shape of my body mirrors the shape of the rocks in the rock garden. By smoking on me there is a material link that the smoker now has to the rocks in the garden. My body provides the platform for both contemplation and consumption. These things seem to exist in equal measure in contemporary Japanese (and American) society.






https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q1zfDIAQk

No comments:

Post a Comment